A very warm welcome to the St Mary’s Primary School community website. We are a welcoming, supportive community which aims to provide the very best learning experiences for all students.
Our school is a faith community, which includes our resident Josephite Sister Nellie Versluys, parents, staff, students and others who service us. Currently we do not have a Canonical Administrator living in our Parish but we rely on our pastoral care from Fr Andrew Fewings and Fr John Paul Pasala. Our school community is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ and Christian values permeate every aspect of school life. St Mary of the Cross’ values are integral to our school life as are the Sandhurst School Values.
For many years the people of the Rushworth Parish had dreamed of a Catholic school of their own. In 1953, Fr. Michael Bowman and a dedicated group of parishioners proposed that St. Mary’s School be built and the Sisters of St. Joseph were invited to teach in the school. Catholic Education was established in Rushworth in 1954, when St. Mary’s School was blessed and opened by Bishop Bernard Stewart of Sandhurst on January 24th with 84 pupils. The convent was also blessed on this day. Students from Prep to Form III were enrolled. The first principal was Sr.Cuthbert Tyler, RSJ. The school comprised of three classrooms a small office and two cloak rooms.
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 sets out what every student should learn during their first eleven years of schooling. The curriculum is the common set of knowledge and skills required by students for life-long learning, social development and active and informed citizenship. Curriculum will be planned around eight learning areas, and four capabilities. Students are assessed against relevant Victorian Curriculum with subsequent learning experiences reflecting each student’s achievements and needs.